Monday 15 August 2011

Destination: Switzerland. Race: Grand Raid

After a week full of interval training and long rides, I'm now having a few easy days before heading off to Verbier to prepare for the Grand Raid on Saturday. I've never been to Switzerland before (apart from briefly racing in and straight out again during the Ischgl ironbike), so I'm really looking forward to a new adventure. The race is the second race of the UCI World Marathon series so it should attract a good line up of women, already confirmed are Jane Nuessli and Elena Giacoumzzi who finished 2nd and 3rd respectively at the Kitzalp last month, which was the first race of the series.

The Grand Raid is a race that I've always wanted to do and I'm really excited to be finally going there; however it won't be easy! Unlike most races the Grand Raid is an A to B race; starting in Verbier and finishing in Grimentz it covers 125km and 5025m of vertical ascent. I like the A to B format a lot; just like in stage races you really feel like you're travelling somewhere and getting to see so much more. I just hope that it doesn't rain, but if it does the race organisers have a contingency plan: in case of bad weather the race is rescheduled to Sunday. The weather can't be bad on both days can it?!

Course profile. Click image to enlarge


 

No comments:

Post a Comment