Friday 24 June 2016

Last weekend was one of my favourite races: Sellaronda Hero. It's a special race not least because of the dramatic location - possibly the most spectacular mountains I've ever seen - but also because the organisation and media coverage is exceptionally good (2 hours of live coverage on Eurosport!). 

Set in the Italian dolomites the race circumnavigates the infamous Sellagroup sending riders up and down four unbelievably steep mountain passes that require the smallest of front chainrings! The altitude - between 1600m and 2300m - also adds to the challenge of the race as does the weather! Heavy rain and thunder storms in in the days and night before softened the ground and made the climbs even harder -soft ground sucking the power from the wheels - and the descents more slippery and tricky.  Starting at 7.10 am is another challenge; its not so easy to eat breakfast at 4.45am! However this only makes the race even more appealing to the thousands of riders who love to tackle and conquer it. 

Here's a link to the Eurosport TV coverage.

In 2013 I raced and won Sellaronda Hero for the first time. One week later I won a Silver medal at the World Championships in Kirchberg, Austria. This year the timing is exactly the same with the World Championships this coming Sunday in Laissac, France. I'm hoping that my second win in the Italian Dolomites will set me up for similar success this weekend in France! 

Keep your fingers crossed for me this weekend!

Photos: www.sportograf.com 













No comments:

Post a Comment